Pepperoni Rolls

Sunday, August 11, 2013



Yesterday, for the 3rd or 4th year, I made dinner for a best friends birthday. It started out making her a bean dip that my mom and I had been making for years. In the short 6 years we have been friends that recipe has changed and grew and became a must for holidays and get togethers! This year, I decide to switch it up a little and for-go the dip for Pepperoni Rolls! These are also something I have been working on making my own.

My dad will send me packages in the mail for my birthday or Christmas and they always have a bag of rolls. Sometimes it's a total score, like the spendy bigger rolls filled with Cheese and pepperoni dripping out the side. But other times, it can be a let down. Like cheap dough and a stick of pepperoni. This got my brain working on getting it right every time! I've gone through numerous bread, pizza dough and general dough recipes along with different kinds of cheese and pep. I think I have finally found a winner! And the big secret... I didnt use pepperoni at all! Boom! :) 

I made these ones with Beer Sausage and Smoked Provolone from a local sausage company. And some Creamy havarti I found on sale at the store. The general rule I have found is you need a meat that doesnt have very much grease and a cheese that has a nice melting point. I really do hope you make them! And after you get a hang of the concept, Get Creative and find what works for you!! 


**I actually used a dough recipe from http://www.alexandracooks.com/ It's a great easy recipe! 


Beer Sausage and Provolone "Pepperoni" Rolls

1 recipe bread dough or pizza dough proofed and ready to use
2 good quality Beer Sausage (from your local sausage company)
1 and 1/2 C cubed Havarti and Provolone 
Butter to grease pan and to spread over the rolls after baking

Preheat your oven to 400 Degrees and grease a baking sheet covered in foil (for easy clean up)

Cube your cheese and dice your sausage into about 1/2 dice/cube mix together so they are distributed evenly. 

Dust your work surface with flour and tear off  a ball of dough. You want its size to be somewhere between a golf ball and a baseball. Roll the dough into a ball and with your thumb make an indent in the center. You don't want to go to deep or else the dough will tear. Fill the indent with your cheese and sausage mixture. Close up the roll by pulling up the sides to the middle and pinching them together. 

Place finished rolls on your greased baking pan and let sit until you have rolled them all out. This recipe should make between 15 and 20 depending on the size you make them. Cover with a towel and let sit for 15 minutes. 

Remove towel and place in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. They should be golden brown on top and crisp! And VERY HOT! Also, some cheese will leak out the bottom, but hey, that's why we lined our pan with foil! ;) 

Finally, brush the rolls with butter while hot and let them cool before you dive in. I'd say about 20 minutes just to be safe!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A Wholesome Taste Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino